My preliminary task was the production of a college magazine. By doing this task I learnt that my research and planning was going to have to be much better. By not having good market research, the product can be completely off from what the customers want. By learning this my music magazine was greatly improved as I knew what my audience wanted.
College Magazine Survey
Music Magazine Survey
Once I had finished my college magazine, I began investigating magazines of a similar genre to mine. I looked at NME and Rolling Stone to take advice on how to construct my magazine in order to give it a better look. By doing so the look and feel of my magazine greatly improved.
In conclusion the preliminary task helped me understand that I needed to further research my genre of magazine. By doing so I gained insight in how to professionally design a magazine, thus greatly improving from my preliminary task.
Throughout the process of constructing my magazine I have learnt about several new technologies.
- I used an iMac because they were readily available at college and they have access to several softwares which are not available on certain OSs.
- I learnt how to do basic tasks on Macs which were very different to Windows which is what I was used to.
- I also learned how to use new softwares like Photoshop and InDesign.
- I used Photoshop to construct my college magazine. This was a good opportunity for me to learn the basics of this software and practice making my product.
I learnt how to:
- Set up a page.
- Import fonts from sites like Dafont.com.
- Edit images and change a model’s background.
- Use the gradient tool to create interesting backdrops.
- How to layer images and text.
- I used InDesign to produce my double page spread.
- InDesign was similar to Photoshop except the layout was slightly different.
- I personally found InDesign harder to use, however by using this programme I was able to lock layers, unlike in Photoshop.
- I learnt how to make continuous text columns which was useful for an article like mine which had a lot of text in.
- I used SurveyMonkey to create online questionnaires.
- It was useful because it allowed me to receive feedback and gather market research.
- The site allows the results of the surveys to be displayed in an easy to understand form eg. graphs.
- From this I was able to create a magazine which my target audience would like and want to read.
In order to find out who my target audience would be I made several questionnaires. From this I was able to give m product direction. Then I used Facebook to ask my friends and family which design they preferred, giving a few options each time.
After some consideration I have decided to use Premier Print and Mail Group.
Reasons for choosing them:
- Fast turnaround
- Cheap, so able to keep production costs low
- 30 years business experience
- Known printer with several other clients who have submitted good reviews
- Free samples to test the quality
- London based (close to where I am situated – Reading)
Disadvantages of choosing them:
- Does not have a huge market share
- May not have other useful contacts in the market
- Could be unreliable
- No access to other media sources such as Radio or TV